Iman obtained his PhD in 2006 from Sharif University of Technology, one of the top technical universities in the Middle East. After being a lecturer in the Civil Engineering Department at University of Science and Culture for two years, he was awarded a Marie Curie Research Fellowship (En-core MCRTN) at the University of Sheffield on the use of internal FRP reinforcement in new reinforced concrete structures. In 2009, he received a prestigious Individual Marie Curie International Incoming Fellowship (IIF) at The University of Sheffield on optimum strengthening of deficient reinforced concrete buildings using FRP composites. From 2010 to 2012, he was a Lecturer in Structural Engineering at the University of Nottingham, where he was convener of Advanced Concrete Structures and Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics modules. He was then appointed Lecturer in Structural Engineering in the Department in 2012 and was promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2015. He is currently the leader of the Earthquake Engineering Group (EEG) and Deputy Director of Research in the Department.
In general, Iman’s research aims to develop practical methods to improve the structural performance of structures and make them more resilient to extreme load events, such as earthquakes or explosions. His research into practical design guidelines for engineers has led to the development of simplified performance-based optimum design methodologies for structural engineers to enable them to produce safer buildings at minimum costs. Iman has been principal or co-investigator of several EU and nationally funded projects (total value of approximately €8M). He has extensive research experience in earthquake engineering, performance-based design, structural strengthening, optimisation, cold-formed steel (CFS) structures, energy dissipation devices, progressive collapse, and soil-structure interaction.
Activities and Distinctions
- Associate Editor of International Journal of Earthquake and Impact Engineering (IJEIE)
- Member of the International Federation for Structural Concrete Task Group 6.6 " Retrofitting of Precast Structures in Seismic Areas "
- Distinguished Lecturer, University of Science and Culture, Iran (2007)
- Distinguished Young Researcher award, Iranian Earthquake Engineering Association (2006)
- Tavakoli Prize for conducting original research, Sharif University of Technology (2005)
- The British Council Chevening Scholarship award, The University of Sheffield (2003)